The lot that this house sits on was part of George Parker's original homestead claim and was purchased from him by James Newcomb for $150.00. James first arrived in Parker in September of 1909 for the purpose of visiting an old friend. Apparently he liked what he saw and he returned some months later to open up a barbershop in the Rhode Island Hotel. In the next few months he met Victoria Stover, a local teacher, and they married in August of 1910.
The Misses Stover, Laura and Victoria, had come to Parker as young school teachers from New Jersey. Laura came first and taught at the Pine Grove School for the school years 1906/1907 & 1907/1908. Then Victoria taught 1908/1909. The sisters were very close in childhood and remained so for the remainder of their lives.
James and Victoria began construction on this home in 1911. It was a simple structure and was completed in good time. Only the center portion of the house dates to 1911. The flanking wings were added by Victoria many years later in 1937-1939. At the same time the wings were added, the structure was re-oriented on the property so that the front door, which originally faced south, now faces east.
James also began construction on his new barbershop in 1911. It was located on the south side of Euclid Avenue (now Mainstreet), across from the Rhode Island Hotel. In November of 1911, the Record Journal reported “J. Newcomb has moved into one of the nicest little barbershops in the country.” Once the store building was finished, the house was rented out, as it was for most of its early years. The Newcombs lived in the rear of the store building most of the time.
James was a talented violinist and began playing for area dances. He eventually organized an area orchestra and they became so well known that they played several venues in Denver and the surrounding area, including Civic Center and Fitzsimons Hospital in Aurora. In 1913 Mr. Newcomb’s brother Everett came to Parker and he joined Jim’s orchestra playing the coronet. They eventually went into business together, becoming owners of the Parker Post. They operated the press from the rear of the barbershop. This enterprise lasted only about a year, when they sold out.
James spent a great deal of time away from home, working at the barber trade whenever he was in town. Eventually his marriage went south. James came and went several times until about 1931 when his presence ceased to be reported. Where he went from here is unknown.
Laura, who had met and married a man from Arena, Colorado and lived there for several years, eventually returned to Parker after her marriage also went south and the two sisters lived together for the rest of their lives in Parker.
In 1914, Victoria became Postmaster in Parker and she remained in this position for 34 years. For the most part Jim´s barbershop became the Post Office and the two sisters lived in the rear of the building. Even after Victoria had the old house renovated and enlarged, the sisters still lived in the old barbershop much of the time.
The Newcomb House was designated as a landmark by the Town of Parker on August 20, 2007.
Information for this brief obtained from various articles printed in Record Journal.