William H. Reynolds House
Location: From Mainstreet and Parker Road, drive south on Parker Road for .55 miles to Hilltop Road. Turn left on Hilltop Road for 2.05 miles. The house is on the left, on the south bank of Tallman Gulch .
William H. Reynolds came to the Parker area about 1883-84 and squatted on some land southeast of Parker. According to his homestead application he had cultivated 10 acres of the property each season for four years prior to filing his homestead papers in July of 1888. His claim was for 160 acres. At the time of application he had a wife and two children, a son, Dallas, and a daughter, Elsie. He was originally from the New York area.
In support of his application he stated that he had built a brick house, 41 by 24 ft with a rocked dugout cellar 10 by 16 ft, a frame barn 14 by 20 ft, a chicken house 10 by 12 ft and a log stable 14 by 40 ft. He had dug a well 28 ft deep, built 2 ¾ miles of fence, and a corral with 100 ft. of planked fence. He was grazing 20 head of cattle and 16 horses on the property. He valued all of his improvements at $2500. Moses H. Parker and William G. Newlin were his witnesses. He received his patent October 22, 1891.
In order to feed his family and accomplish the task of proving up, he worked in Denver during the week as a bricklayer, and then came home on Saturday night to his family. In March of 1897 he was contracted for all the brickwork on the new Littleton Creamery Facility at Parker. In addition, in October of the same year he did all the brick work for E. R. Parsons on his new home. April of 1903 saw him drilling a new well for Mrs. Mary L. Steves. He did well work all over town, working on wells for the Goddards, the Reeds, and the Woodburys.
In July of 1903 William purchased an additional 60 acres. He would make several land purchases, eventually amassing a ranch of 400 acres. During 1903 Mr. Reynolds purchased the sawmill belonging to M. Jamison, and immediately put it to work at the Uthoff place, and then at the Lewis ranch.
Mr. Reynolds suffered a terrible accident the latter part of 1905. It is not known exactly what happened, but the news paper reported on December 12, 1905 that “Mr. Reynolds was gradually improving at Mercy Hospital in Denver. They will be able to save his arm and part of the hand. It was necessary to take 58 stitches to his arm.” Most likely, a sawing accident.
In January of 1908 a report in the local paper stated that “J. Bauldauf has leased the William H. Reynolds ranch, and will move there March 1st. The former lessee, Modest Pouppirt, will move to a ranch he bought on the Divide."
A news report in October of 1908 stated “ William Reynolds and daughter Elsie, of Tabernash, Colorado are visiting Parker friends this week.”
In 1910, Jimmy Baldauf bought the 400-acre Reynolds ranch, one mile south of Parker. While in town for the sale, the Reynolds stayed at the Rhode Island Hotel and gave the proprietors a hand as both were down sick. How long they stayed in town is not known but in December of 1911 they had moved into the old barbershop. Not too long after this last report, they dropped out of the local news updates.
This place has seen its share of owners and renters over the years. Sometime during the ownership of Jim and Sally McNamara, about the mid 1960s, a large addition was built on to the north side of the building. Apparently this addition was used to house a day school. The building is currently sitting vacant behind the current property owner's residence, and its ultimate disposition remains unknown.
Information for this brief obtained from Colorado Homestead application # 12747, various articles from Record Journal, and a personal interview with Sandy Welchel.
Updated in January 2009 by Larry T. Smith.