Frank Leviga Montgomery (1848-1917) was born in Coos County, New Hampshire, the son of William and Mehitabel Montgomery. After the Civil War he came to Colorado and began working as a freighter. He married Elizabeth Ellen O’Neil (1856-1947) from Clinton County, Missouri on November 17th, 1872. They lived in Arapahoe County until 1873 when they took up a homestead on the W 1/2, SW ¼ of Section 34 Douglas County. The ranch was on Cherry Creek, just north and east of Stroh Road and Motsenbocker Road. It is interesting to note that the first Allison Schoolhouse, a log structure, was built on this land.
The Montgomerys had six children: Mary Agnes, Frank Leviga Jr., Charles George, Nellie Eunice, Edgar and Lillie Irene. The Montgomerys were ranchers and farmers and active in local social, business, and political life. Frank was a Republican and was elected as a County Commissioner in 1887. After many years of working the farm, the place was sold in 1906, and Frank and Elizabeth lived for a time in Parker in a house on Euclid Avenue (now Mainstreet) owned by their daughter Nellie Schroer. In June of 1907, they rented a place known as the Baldauf Ranch and lived there, farming, until February of 1910, when they retired and moved to a home in Denver.
City life did not agree with them and by December of the same year they returned to the Parker area and bought a place known as the Reed Ranch, west of Parker. They farmed there until 1916 when they had a new house built in Parker on what is now known as Pikes Peak Drive, and retired a second time. Frank died shortly thereafter in 1917. After Frank’s death, Elizabeth continued living in the house until she was no longer able to care for herself. She then went to live in Denver with daughter Lillie. She died in 1947.
The house has had numerous owners over the years, including Loren and Jean Martin. They added a large addition on the back of the house in 1981 to expand the living space.
In 2008, owners Lew Palmer and Jerry Dandurand had the 1981 addition removed and they are built new addition.
This building has been landmarked by the Town of Parker.
Information for this brief was obtained from Our Heritage by the Douglas County Historical Society, A Guide to Historical Sites in the Parker Area by F. B. McLaughlin, and numerous articles in Record Journal.